Monday 31 December 2012

CannyComicCon 2012

I dipped my toe into the world of the comic convention this year and had a half table at the CannyComicCon in Newcastle in early December


(That's me in the white Jikan T-shirt. Photo taken by Terry Wiley, the talent behind Verity Fair)

I was sat next to that splendid chap Paul Von Scott, publisher of the Solar Wind and Omnivistascope anthologies, who helped make the day a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Paul is obviously an old hand at these conventions and a lot of folk came over to chat with him which led to me joining in and making a decent amount of sales of PARAGON issues as they often picked them up for a browse and put their hands in their pockets for a copy or two. I actually sold out of issues 7,8,10 and 11!!

AAIIEEE!!! also sold out with people actually coming over and saying "Ah that's the one I want - I've read about it online!".
I had one of the pro artists have a flick through and comment on the high quality of the comic, so it was certainly worthwhile being there.

I only got to one event in the adjoining room - to see the the fan film Judge Minty (which is excellent, by the way - definitely worth a view) and had a chat with 2000AD covers blog maestro, Pete Wells.
I didn't get much of a chance to wander the other tables unfortunately but did make my way over to Mary and Bryan Talbot's table to buy a copy of Dotter of her Father's Eyes which I also got signed (and sketched in)

It was a long day but very enjoyable. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Roll on next year!

No comments: